Top tips for your Neck Pain following a Whiplash Injury 27 Jun 2019
Whiplash is usually associated with car accidents, however, it can also be caused by high velocity, high impact sports like rugby or American football, head-banging and bungee jumping!
It happens when the head moves rapidly forward and then rapidly back again. If you have pain at the time of the accident or experience dizziness, double vision, prolonged headaches or problems swallowing then make sure you get an X-ray at A and E first. Most pain in whiplash however, starts later that day or the next day, as the muscle go into spasm following the rapid stretch and contact that happens in the accident.
Top tips for Whiplash
- Take regular breaks from desk work, driving or any activity where your neck is in one position
- Keep your neck moving to prevent stiffness. Every 30-60 minutes turn your head left and right, then side-to-side left and right.
Don’t hold on-to the pain just move in and out. With repetition it should get easier not more painful
- Avoid reading in bed, working on your laptop on the sofa and using too many pillows
- Practice relaxation techniques if you are prone to getting stressed or tense, otherwise this will prolong the tension in your shoulders and your pain!
- Shrug your shoulders up as you breathe in and lower them again as you breathe out to teach your muscles how to relax
- Sleeping position; you should hold your head in a neutral position:
These exercise videos from the Chartered Society of Physiotherpy are designed to help alleviate a range of conditions.
Should your pain persist we are here for you.
Our physiotherapists are experts at treating whiplash with years of experience. The knowledge we have around muscles, joints, ligaments and the arteries that supply the brain is imperative in progressing you safely through your rehabilitation.
(We are registered with most medico-legal companies, it you need to check please give us a call on 0207 443 5655)
Need help with your whiplash?
Making a booking and save 10%! It's quick and easy, the process has been streamlined so you can get an appointment within minutes!